WE, the Heads of State/Government of the Member States of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (hereinafter referred to as ASEAN), namely, Brunei Darussalam, the Kingdom of Cambodia, the Republic of Indonesia, the Lao Peoples Democratic Republic, Malaysia, the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, the Republic of the Philippines, the Republic of Singapore, the Kingdom of Thailand and the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, on the occasion of the 28th ASEAN Summit in Vientiane, Lao Peoples Democratic Republic;
REAFFIRMING the vision of ASEAN Leaders to build an ASEAN Community that will contribute to a more competitive, resilient and well-connected ASEAN;
RECALLING the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity adopted by ASEAN Leaders in Ha Noi, Viet Nam, on 28 October 2010.
RECALLING FURTHER the Kuala Lumpur Declaration on ASEAN 2025: Forging Ahead Together signed by all ASEAN Leaders at the 27th ASEAN Summit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in November 2015 which adopted the ASEAN Community Vision 2025, the ASEAN Political-Security Community Blueprint 2025, the ASEAN Economic Community Blueprint 2025 and the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Blueprint 2025;
RECOGNISING that enhancing ASEAN Connectivity would continue to benefit all ASEAN Member States, through improved physical, institutional and people-to-people linkages, by promoting greater competitiveness, prosperity, inclusiveness and sense of Community;
EMPHASISING the importance of the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025 in building the ASEAN Community as well as in supporting the implementation of the ASEAN Political-Security Community Blueprint 2025, the ASEAN Economic Community Blueprint 2025, the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Blueprint 2025, ASEAN sectoral work plans, and the Initiative for ASEAN Integration (IAI) Work Plan III, as well as in enhancing synergies with other sub-regional and inter-regional frameworks;
COMMENDING the work of the ASEAN Connectivity Coordinating Committee in developing the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025 with the relevant ASEAN Sectoral Bodies and the ASEAN Secretariat; 2
EXPRESSING appreciation for the support shown by our Dialogue Partners and external parties towards the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025 and their readiness to partner with ASEAN in the implementation of the Master Plan;
- ADOPT the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025, which shall be an integral part of the ASEAN 2025: Forging Ahead Together;
- AGREE that the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025 will be the successor document to the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity adopted on 28 October 2010;
- RESOLVE that ASEAN Member States as well as relevant ASEAN Organs and Bodies shall implement the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025 in a timely and effective manner;
- TASK relevant ASEAN Ministers, the Secretary-General of ASEAN, the ASEAN Connectivity Coordinating Committee, other relevant ASEAN Organs and Bodies, as well as National Coordinators and Focal Points, to coordinate closely with relevant stakeholders and to mobilise adequate resources for the implementation of the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025; and,
- TASK the ASEAN Connectivity Coordinating Committee to monitor, evaluate and report the progress and challenges of implementation of the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025 to the ASEAN Summit on a regular basis through the ASEAN Coordinating Council in consultation with the ASEAN Political-Security Community Council, ASEAN Economic Community Council and ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Council.
ADOPTED in Vientiane, Lao Peoples Democratic Republic this Sixth Day of September in the Year Two Thousand and Sixteen, in a single original copy, in the English Language.